This is a drawing of an elderly couple I completed as a Christmas present. It was commissioned by their son. The drawing was drawn with graphite pencils on paper. It was 25 x 30 cm in size. When finished I mounted it in a neutral coloured mount.
This is the latest family portrait I have finished. It is of a couple to be married in March. It is a present from the groom to his future bride, both in the picture. The portrait is 50 x 50 cm in size and painted with acrylics on canvas.
I have finished working on this portrait last week. It is quite large in size, 50 x 60 cm, painted with acrylics on stretched canvas. The reference photograph that the client provided me with, was very detailed. My challenge with this portrait was to make it unique. I used a larger brush than usual and added a good range of colour to the skin tone, as it was quite washed out in the reference picture. My base colours were yellow ochre, venetian red and ultramarine blue. From these I mixed all the skin tones and blacks. To add interest and colour I used alizarin crimson, lemon yellow and cerulean blue. I focused on the main features of the face and left the rest of the painting quite loose.
I have just finished working on another portrait. It is a family portrait of a cocker spaniel called Charlie and her owners. Charlie has sadly passed away and her owners wanted a portrait of her and themselves as a keepsake. To put Charlie into focus, we have decided to draw her portrait with tinted pencils and the rest of the portrait in graphite. I think it worked out quite well. Charlie’s reference photo was pretty good so I could really go to town with all the detail. It was such a lovely portrait to work on. The drawing is 25 x 30cm (10 x 12 inches) in size and I will be posting it in a lovely neutral mount. Below, I am posting a scan of the drawing together with some progress pictures for those who are interested in how I got there. For the graphite pencil portrait, I used Staedtler Mars Lumograph pencils (so hard to get in Ireland), and for the tinted portrait of Charlie, I used Faber Castell Polychromas which are just lovely to work with. I used burnt umber, yellow ochre, walnut brown, burnt sienna and venetian red.